Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Eye: New Pop Culture Morality

Marriage, Abstinence and good girl vs. hot girl are current subjects for some of the most acclaimed pop culture songs, literature and movies in the US. I must admit that I've always observed since I was a child how the entertainment business has shaped most of our moral concepts, particularly the relationship between men and women. In a conscious or a subconscious attempt to fill our free time with some fun and our free brains with some BS, excuse my french:), many moral lines have been crossed, distorted and even became the accepted norm. However, lately I've noticed a distinct change in some forms of pop culture songs, clips, literature and film!

These are the lyrics for All The Single Ladies by Beyonce Knowels; the song is a bold statement for men who reject marriage. These are some lines:

Single Ladies Lyrics


All the single ladies (7x)

Now put your hands up
Up in the club, we just broke up
I’m doing my own little thing
you Decided to dip but now you wanna trip
cuz i cried my tears, GAVE three good years
Ya can’t be mad at me

[Chorus]
Cuz if you liked it then you should have put a ring on it
*************

Don’t treat me to the things of this world
I’m not that kind of girl
Your love is what I prefer, what I deserve
Is a man that makes me,
And delivers me to a destiny, to infinity and beyond
Pull me into your arms
Say I’m the one you want
If you don’t, you’ll be alone
And like a ghost I’ll be gone

All the single ladies
Now put your hands up
woo oh ooh oh oh ooh oh oh ooh
oh oh oh

Cuz if you liked it then you should have put a ring on it

Is that a call for marriage or what?!


Abstinence and resisting temptation is the main theme for the Twilight Saga a deeply Romantic teen story, written by a Mormon mom, that hits the roof with sales and popularity among the junior and adult women. Stephenie Meyer's portrayal of Edward Cullen has brought women all over the world out of their mind because he is everything that men aren't today. As an angelically beautiful 108 year old vampire who looks eternally 17, Edward doesn't yield to his natural desires to kill and quench his thirst for human blood. He must resist the urge to be with his beloved human Bella out of fear for her safety. These are concepts that revolutionize the moral beliefs and boundaries of today's young generation common beliefs regarding the intersection between sexuality and romance.


I've also watched Taylor Swift's music video where she plays two different characters the hottie and the serious. Taylor is an adorable 19 year-old country music singer loved by the young generation. The song (You belong with me) sends a message supporting smart, polite moderately dressed girls. These values are shaping concepts which redefine male/female relationships and call for new moral values. (this video is displayed on my i pod on the right)

Corruption might still dominate, but some artists are trying to make a luminous difference that the world definitely needs. -L.

No comments: