Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Eye: Toni Morrison a gorgeous woman/author



If there is some one that I owe the knowledge and a deep understanding of the complexity of life other than my beloved grandma, it would be Toni Morrison. Morrison's first five novels where literally my companions for five years I've spent away from home as an expat in sister middle eastern countries. Studying her novels for my MA thesis was not merely an academic research, it shaped a lot of my views, judgment, how I perceive difference in a world full of injustice, discrimination, assumptions and oppression. The richness of the human concepts and unique experiences of the African American woman that Morrison tackles are still applicable and universal. I've researched the problem of beauty standards and how physical attributes of Africans have acquired negative moral connotations due to racial discrimination. This is one of zillion issues that you can explore through reading works by a Noble Prize awarded African American woman author.
Review Morrison's biography here.

No comments: