Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Eye: Mark D. Siljanders Bridges the Divid


"I believed that Islam and Christianity were contradictory at their core, that the Eastern Islamic and Western Judeo-Christian cultures were irretrievably opposed to one another, and that the only possible solution to this conflict was the conversion of “them” so they would come to think like “us.” My worldview could not have been clearer or simpler—or more myopic."
"In the years that followed I was led to question the truth of these axioms. In time, I learned that every one of them was utterly, categorically false. I learned that when we stop buying into our cultures’ prejudices, assumptions, and prevailing habits of thought and begin to investigate the texts of our different holy books in their original languages, conflicts between crucial terms and entire passages that have traditionally been viewed as irreconcilable begin to evaporate."

"I learned that the deadly misunderstanding dividing our world today need not do so tomorrow." Mark D. Siljanders

A Deadly Misunderstanding

to read more or order the book click here.

-L.


1 comment:

Luminous said...

It was almost 4:30 am and i'm ot Aljazeera follower but there was this interesting interview about that book which seemed like an answer to my prayers for peace during Ramadan:) I opened my lap top for the 20th time today to blog it. i'm getting excited, yey!